12 Jul 2018

Falling in Line

So, some of you might notice the tensor band on my right wrist. The reason for the new accessory is that I fell flat on my face in my drive-way yesterday. Not my proudest moment... On my way to work, I took two steps out the door, miss-stepped and ended up on the ground. I actually fell pretty hard (I don't do anything half-way) and landed with most of my weight on my right wrist. I ended up with a pretty good abrasion the size of a nickel on the lower left side of my palm. I also somehow got a little abrasion on the side of my left foot. Anyways, with a bruised ego, I brushed off the gravel I could, got back up and headed to the bus stop. I found a Band-Aid in the bottom of my purse and slapped it on the open wound. Thankfully, my colleague had some antibiotic ointment and spare Band-Aids. I cleaned the wounds the best I could and went on with my day. As the day progressed however, the pain and soreness in my wrist was only getting worse. I was meeting a friend for dinner and ended up eating my salad with my left hand. Just holding a fork was too painful. Once I got home, I iced my wrist and decided to immobilize it with a tensor band for the night.

The next morning, the pain was even worse! That's when I decided to go to urgent care and get it checked out. If it's broken, the sooner you deal with it the better. As I was sitting in the waiting room, I was thinking that I had never actually broken anything before, so this would be a first. And I wouldn't even have a good story to go with it! 

The first thing the nurse did was give me a tetanus shot. I had not had one since I was a kid (unlike my brother, who was a lot more accident-prone). That was my first sign that this could be worse than I thought... Seeing as there was still quite a bit of gravel in my wounds, the doctor suggested we scrape them clean. Goodie, that sounds like fun... So the nurse comes back with the sponge thing with teeth and starts vigorously scraping the wounds. She then went in with a tooth-pick-like tool to get the stubborn little specs. This process was not pleasant at all! Once the wounds were clean, she put antibiotic ointment and Band-Aids on them. I remember the wrist emanating a lot of heat after that little treatment and the nurse said it was normal, we "angered" the wound. No kidding. Then, I was off to get some X-rays of my wrist. The verdict: it's not broken! What a relief! I was instructed to keep moving it and it would heel on its own.

Being very dominantly right-handed, getting dressed proved a challenge that morning. That's why I chose a button-down shirt (striped, of course) and jeans. I didn't brush my hair and just put it up in a loose bun-thing. I managed to brush my teeth with my left hand and put on some lipstick. That was the extent of my beauty routine. I also decided on wearing flats today, just in case my feet decided to not cooperate again...

Shirt: H&M (similar) | Jeans: Jordache (similar) | Earrings: Romwe (similar) | Belt: American Eagle | Flats: Old Navy (similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment